Dental Implants Las Vegas
Las Vegas dental implants are artificial tooth roots, usually made from titanium, which are anchored into the actual jawbone to replace teeth than have fallen out or have been extracted. Replacement teeth designed to match the remaining natural teeth are then fitted over top of these implants. In Las Vegas, dental implants are quickly becoming the most popular option for replacing missing teeth, but it is important to choose the right dentist for this type of procedure to ensure that your new dental implants are properly fitted to last a lifetime.
Who Is A Candidate For Dental Implants?
Most healthy individuals are good candidates for dental implants. It is important, however, that the patient have enough gum and bone in which to support the root implant. As soon as a tooth is removed or falls out, the bone mass in the jaw begins to shrink, so patients who have experienced long-term tooth loss may need to have bone grafts before implants can be placed.
It is important that patients take good care of their dental implants, so patients who have a history of maintaining their oral health and keeping their regular dental checkups are great candidates for this procedure. Smokers and patients with diabetes and other chronic illness may not be suitable candidates. Dr. Khorshid evaluates every patient individually to determine the best treatment plan to meet their needs.
Advantages Of Choosing Dental Implants
When a patient experiences tooth loss, there are several options available to them, but many find that dental implants are the best choice.
Some advantages of dental implants include:
- Appearance – Most people cannot tell when a person has dental implants. They are designed to fit into the jaw like a natural tooth, and Dr. Khorshid can match your new teeth color to your existing teeth, so they blend right in to your mouth.
- Durability – When well cared for, dental implants can last a lifetime.
- Easy to care for – Dentures require removal and maintenance on a daily basis. Patients care for dental implants the same way they care for their own natural teeth.
- Self Esteem – Because dental implants look and feel like natural teeth, patients feel much better about their smiles and aren’t embarrassed by clumsy looking dentures.
- No Change in Speech – Most people can tell that they are talking to someone with dentures because they can hear subtle “tells” in their speech. With dental implants, nobody can see or hear your new teeth.
- Eat the same foods – People with dentures have to modify their eating habits which can be inconvenient, embarrassing, and can even lead to poor nutritional habits. With dental implants, patients can eat just as they did before with all of their natural teeth.
How Does Dental Implant Surgery Work?
When choosing a Last Vegas dental implant specialist, patients will want to choose a dentist who takes the time to understand his patients and will work out an individualized treatment plan with them. Dr. Khorshid does a full workup of a patient’s medical history and will thoroughly examine the mouth, jaw, gums and sinus cavities of his patients to make a proper evaluation.
Once he has determined that dental implants are the right option for a patient, he will remove any damaged teeth that need to be extracted. If it has been determined that the jaw requires bone grafts, those will be completed at this time. Once the jaw is healed from these procedures, the implants can be placed into the jaw.
An incision will be made in the jaw line, down to the bone and a hole will be drilled into the jaw. The artificial root will then be implanted into the bone. The titanium post is left in the jaw to heal and a temporary tooth will be placed over top to hide the gap in your mouth.
As the jaw bone heals around and bonds with the implant, it is providing a solid foundation for the tooth. Once the jaw is healed, Dr. Khorshid will place an abutment over the new “root” which will hold the new tooth in place. He will then place permanent crown over top of the post and abutment.
In the days immediately following a procedure, patients will find that their mouths are swollen, tender and may even bruise. Follow all after-care instructions for dental implants to the letter to avoid infection or irritation. Any excessive swelling, bleeding or irritation should be reported to the dentist immediately.
How To Care For Dental Implants
Dental implants need to be cared for just as natural teeth are cared for. Regular brushing and flossing are essential, as are routine six month dental checkups. More checkups may be recommended in the early stages of implant recovery, but with proper care, Dental Implants Las Vegas can last a patient a lifetime.